Thursday, January 10, 2008

No Child Left Behind: Raising the Standards or Lowering the Bar?


As some of you may know I am a former ASD art teacher. I have my bachelor's degree in art with a concentration in art history from Moravian College, and my teaching certificate in art education from Kutztown Univ., and I'm still working on my masters. I left teaching six years ago because I had a baby and decided to be a stay-at-home mom. Now I see things from both a parent's perspective, and an educator's perspective. My son currently attends 1st grade in the ASD.

I am on the school PTA, and I volunteer at school. At our last PTA meeting the principal told us about the upcoming PSSA testing. He said "Here at ---- School our lives revolve around testing." That sentence really disturbs me. Shouldn't an educator's life revolve around the students and giving them the best education possible? But this is America in 2008. I have seen the changes since the federal No Child Left Behind Act(NCLB) has been implemented and I believe that focusing on testing does not raise standards, but it actually lowers the bar by dumbing down the curriculum. Here's why.

With all the focus on reading and math, other subjects get ignored. When kids cannot make connections across the curriculum, then learning becomes less meaningful. A curriculum that encourages integrating subjects like reading and math with art, music, science, social studies, civics, etc. motivates students and prepares them for real-life experiences. Research has proven that children who study music and art score better on standardized tests. I believe if you are not giving students this kind of well-rounded education, then you are dumbing down the curriculum, and not encouraging critical thinking skills and creativity. These skills are necessary for children to make it in the real world.

Of course kids need to learn the basics so there should be standards. I think those standards should be set at a local level, not by the federal govt. An urban school district like Allentown is under a lot of pressure to meet the standards, and if they don't, they lose what little funding they have. NCLB does not provide the additional funding needed for special programs to help at-risk kids, kids who don't speak English, and special needs kids to score well on tests.

Poverty is one of the big reasons we have so many at-risk kids. I think THAT needs to be addressed first. Public education has been around for a long time, so it is not fair to just blame teachers and say public education is a failure. Many kids in urban school districts are entering first grade with little or no language skills, they are hungry, they are not taken care of at home, some are homeless or in foster care. If basic needs are not met, a child will not be ready to learn. An urban teacher wears many hats including care taker, social worker, psychologist and disciplinarian, working with little resources. I know, I have been there and it is a hard but rewarding job.

I think parents, and tax-paying citizens need to be aware of what is really going on in our schools. Public education and NCLB is a complicated mess, and I believe the children are the unfortunate victims of too much govt. bureaucracy and bad decision making. I am fortunate enough to be able to supplement my son with extra learning activities at home. Many people are not that fortunate. Volunteer at a public school and see what is going on. Don't be afraid to ask about the curriculum.
I know I have just scratched the surface here on NCLB. I want the best education for my child, and I had hoped he would get that at a public school, but what I see really worries me. I am not in the financial position to send him to a private school or to live in an affluent district.
(I know this is a controversial issue, so please be considerate of others while commenting.)















18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Excellent post, Dottie. Such an important issue and no easy answers. This (your post) will take me a few readings to digest. Thank you for revving up my brain cells.

michael molovinsky said...

dottie, if you can tolerate one of my stories; this summer i attended an art show by retired asd teacher fred schoenk, also attending were his former students and his former teacher, jim musselman. i wonder, even with all the current testing, can bonds like that still be formed?

Angie Villa said...

MM,

I remember Fred! It's great to hear about his art show. I would hope bonds like you speak of still can be formed, but I know for a fact that the music, art, and phys ed teachers are now spending part of their day preparing kids for testing, and even administering tests. The year I left, 2001, they were starting to implememnt NCLB and I was told I had to teach reading and math to 7th graders in the morning to prepare them for the test. I'm not even certified in those subjects. Some schools have had to eliminate what Paul Carpenter calls "frills" like art and music. Today in his column he bashes teachers and says it is because of their incompetence, and because they are more interested in having sex with students, that some high school seniors can't read. Most teachers are highly competent. He is completely clueless.

Anonymous said...

Many kids today have so many distractions they don't care about school. When I was in school(1960 thru 1973), I found that if I just paid attention in class I would not even have to study for a test and still get a's and b'a on my tests. Today the kids have 100 channel TV with HBO and PPV, Ipods Wii, Iphone, plus all the computer games, etc. Also there are more single parent homes than ever before. Our whole society is changing. I got the paddle once in school... in front of the entire class. Let me tell you something, that was a real learning experience. A teacher today cannot even raise their voice in class with out a threat of a lawsuit. I went fishing last year and there were two kids there, perhaps 7 or 8, and they were using the F word like it was among the first words they ever learned. I don't like Bush either, but all this starts right in peoples own homes, then it gets to the local schools. If our kids can't pass a test, it is up to the parents and the teachers to crack down on them. If they have a disability they will be taken care of, but I will bet that most of the failing grades are from kids who just could care less. They don't have time for homework because they are up till midnight playing with there Wii and Ipods. If your child is failing blame him/her and yourself. Don't blame someone hundreds of miles away. If you want to blame someone else... you are not doing your homework either!

Angie Villa said...

Anon 1:02:

I agree. What you are saying about kids, parents and society today is absolutely true. I'm not blaming Washington for failing students. There is personal responsiblility which is lacking today.

My point is that poverty, and societal issues like you mention need to be addressed in order for kids to succeed at school, not more testing and underfunded govt. programs that only set the bar low for achievement by depriving those kids who do care a well rounded education.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dottie,
I was at the "Here at ---- School our lives revolve around testing"
meeting and was shocked, as well.
I know that this is what concerns schools, but it was painful to hear it out loud, nonetheless. What can we do? This is the current state of affairs. I think the best we can do is to try to offset this nonsense by being as supportive of other interests at home.

Angie Villa said...

Anon 7:34:
RE: "What can we do"

As pro-active parents we have to encourage creativity at home. And we can volunteer at school to organize PTA arts events for the kids. Our school is fortunate to have over 220 PTA members, and through fundraising events we have raised the money needed to buy books and instruments and other "extras" for our kids. Most Allentown Schools are not that fortunate. I can remember 2 people being at a PTA meeting when I taught at an inner city elementary school.

Anonymous said...

Dottie, you are to be commended! THIS is how blogging should be: informed, open, stimulating, constructive. Bravo! I notice that (except for Look Out Lehigh Valley) that no one from the Lehigh Valley Political blog has checked in here to post anything, or, to even welcome you to the blogosphere. That's really sad. I guess they're too busy bashing Mr. Molvinsky and making up alter-ego profiles of him wich is really outrageous. And desperate. Keep up the wonderfull work Dottie!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 7:30,

Dottie is a teriffic writer. My only criticism is she waited too long!!

Dottie has been welcomed into the LV blogosphere by two members of LVPoliblog - LOLV and Curmudgeon. Chris Casey, as you may not be aware, was in the hospital this week and is in no condition to be blogging right now. Before he went into the hospital, the last thing Chris did was to send an email to everyone he can thing of, condemning that parody blog. I'm sure that, once he's back on his feet, Chris will be happy to see Dottie is blogging.

In the blogosphere, we don't compete, but complement, each other.

Angie Villa said...

Thanks Anon 7:30,

I try to encourage people here who have differing opinions to be able to respectfully agree to disagree, and end it, before they resort to childish name-calling. That kind of stuff takes away from the issue. I have deleted a couple of comments which were nasty attacks on me.

Angie Villa said...

Bernie,

Chris sent me an e-mail wishing me well. And you are right, Curmudgeon commented at my first post.

Anonymous said...

[Bernie and Dottie] thank you, i stand corrected [3, of the 8, Lehigh Valley Political bloggers have acknowledged Dottie] and GET WELL SOON, CHRIS!

Anonymous said...

Hi The kids are in school for 7 hours and have reading and math plus many other subjects. If the students don't have tests how will anyone know who has learned anything? Please explain what you mean by "dumbing down to the test"?

Pamela Varkony said...

Dottie,

To coin a phrase from Hillary Clinton "My feelings are hurt". I welcomed you to the blogosphere in a response to your post about the 19th St. Theater District. I would have mentioned L.V. Somebody on my own blog when you launched, except I was temporarily unattached at the time.

I'm still trying to install all the bells and whistles to my new cyber home and once that is done, I'll have live links to you and Bernie, and some of the other good ones.

So I'll try this again: Welcome to the blogosphere. Your blog is very well written and very thougtful.

Angie Villa said...

RE"Please explain what you mean by "dumbing down to the test"?"

I thought I explained that. What I mean is that the kids spend a lot of extra time on reading and math test preparation, and test taking. There is less time for other subjects. Of course tests are necessary but I don't think you realize just how much focus is placed on testing and the results of these PSSA tests. The principal said it himself."Our lives revolve around testing." I believe the curriculum is "dumbed down" when it does not encourage critical thinking and creativity, and is centered on testing.

Angie Villa said...

Hi Pam,

Please don't feel hurt! Thank you for the nice words. I did read and respond to your comment at my "Poo poo on the Artists" post from last week. I think that was before you had your blog up, or your name in blue. I try to respond to everyone who takes the time to comment.

I enjoy your blog, and it really looks great! I am not real savvy with the "bells and whistles" of a blog, but I would like to put up some local links as well. I am really a visual artist, and a musician, so this writing stuff is new to me. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dottie , Unfortunately, Colleges only care about grades for a student to attend.

Anonymous said...

"Unfortunately, Colleges only care about grades for a student to attend."

... don't forget about "how fast one can rush for 40 yards" and/or "slam-dunking ability" ...