Friday, January 18, 2008

Zell Drops F- Bomb at Symphony Hall



So now I can understand why our local paper chooses to showcase a foul-mouthed young woman on it's front page ( American Idol contestant, Allentown's own Alexis Cohen .) That's all I am going to say about her.





According to a report in Jan. 18th's Morning Call, Sam Zell, the new owner of the newspaper's parent co. Tribune delivered his notes-free speech at Symphony Hall "with the aplomb of an experienced stage performer." The audience of Morning Call employees clapped in rounds of applause and cheers. A highlight of this first class performance was Zell's response to a question about workplace diversity to which he replied "I'm f---- color-blind. I'm interested in excellence." He wants The Morning Call to be like a "petri dish of innovation." (in other words, more like scientific turd-polishing) How refreshing.



If his somewhat vulgar approach to journalism and the Morning Call's enthusiastic response to it is any indicator of what's to come I think I might just have to cancel my subscription. I thought newspapers had higher standards than MTV and Reality TV. Should journalists adapt to this new world we live in where foul language is standard fare and perfectly acceptable? Perhaps I am jumping to conclusions too soon, and Zell's just a no-nonsense straight talker, but the F-Bomb at Symphony Hall!!? That kinda takes my focus away from considering any of the innovative ideas or approaches he might have.

No comments: