Thursday, July 31, 2008

Magic of Music

I've just realized that I am a musician, and my talented husband is a musician, but I hardly ever blog about music. Music is and always has been a big part of my life. It can lift your spirits, take you to another place and another time. A song can have an important message, or it can just evoke a feeling. I realize that musical taste is very subjective. When I first hear a new cd I might not be too crazy about it. Maybe one song stands out. I usually have to listen to a cd over and over again before I like it. I've been listening to Bruce Springsteen's "Magic" for about 7 months now. I just can't stop. It just makes me feel really good, even though some of the songs are sad. There are political songs, anti-war songs. Bruce is in his late 50's and I think he sounds better than ever.

My son, who turns 7 on Sept.1, is a Beatle fanatic. He's been listening since he was a baby. He knows every song, and can tell you what album a song is on, and other facts. I think The Beatles had a big part in his early language development, he was speaking and singing at a very young age. It also helped with his reading and spelling because he was so enthusiastic about learning the names of the songs that he started reading titles from albums and cd's. It's been an obsession that I don't really mind. We took him to see "The Fab Faux" at The State Theatre and he loved every second. Anyone who tells you that music and art are educational frills is a moron.


With Musikfest approaching, I hope some of you decide to "listen your way" through the festival as you enjoy the food. Anyone going to see John Fogerty?
Pictured: My son on Christmas morning after opening new John Lennon cd from Santa


11 comments:

Sarina said...

Music and the arts are definitely essential in education!

It's great to see a new generation in love with the Beatles. My dad was a huge fan, which is how I became one, too.

Mrs. Dottie said...

Good to hear Sarina. I think parents should expose kids to music at a very young age. Our son was exposed to music before he was even born because I performed in a band throughout my pregnancy.

Sarina said...

It's cool to picture you as a pregnant rocker mama!

Mrs. Dottie said...

Sarina,

I did not feel or look very cool, but I think it made my hubby all a-quiver!

Bill Villa said...

Lead Guitar Player Angie Villa of The Villas is the "Chick with the Lick." Guitar lick, that is. And yeah, she gets me all a-quiver ... even when she has to play (lead) guitar sitting down cuz she's pregnant. I recall an outdoor gig we played when Angie was 7 months pregnant (and it was like 104 degrees out) so the whole band (a 5-piece) sat too, to support our pregnant band mate. She's a trouper, that Angie Villa, and the smartest guitar player I know. Gianni Villa (7) will be in the band soon so we'll be like The Cowsills or The Partridge Family one day ...

Bernie O'Hare said...

Mrs. Dottie, A-quiver? You are very naughty!

Mrs. Dottie said...

Who's naughty? Not me! ;D

A.J.C. said...

The music at Musikfest isn't like it was about 8 years ago. The quality of the festival has really gone downhill.

A.J.C. said...

Bill,

If you guys start touring in a painted bus, don't expect me to come around anymore, lol!

Mrs. Dottie said...

AJ,

I agree about Musikfest. I liked it when it was smaller with more focus on the music.

AJ, you and your sock puppet could be our opening act!

Bill Villa said...

"If you guys start touring in a painted bus, don't expect me to come around anymore, lol!" -AJ

But it'll be magic bus, man ... like Ken Kesey ... but anyways, MUSIC (yeah, I remember THAT, sort of) .. here in no particular order are some "albums" I'd take with me when I die if I could ... there are hundreds more ...

* "Painted From Memory," Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello

* "Rubber Soul" & "Revolver," The Beatles (and every other Beatle album)

* "The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle," Bruce Springsteen (and his most recent, "Magic")

* "Good Old Boys," Randy Newman

* "Closing Time," Tom Waits

* "Scary Monsters," David Bowie

(yeah, I know, I like the 70s)

* "American Idiot," Green Day

(happy?)

* "Set For Life," The Villas