Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Greg Weaver in "Momentum"

I am proud to report (i.e., "leak") that the art work of the late and great Greg Weaver will be on display at the Allentown Chen Arts Group upcoming show, "Momentum." Greg started a hipster art scene in Allentown in the 1970's and was/is an inspiration to many artists, musicians, and writers. I spoke with his widow Fran recently for almost an hour and she is very excited about Greg's work being included in this show.

Greg Weaver said: "I see my painting as urban American folk art; that is an art that comes from responding to the tensions of national urbanization."
"I need the contradictions and paradoxes of modern American culture."

Speaking of cool contradictions, visualize Greg's "large black cow" and "large chicken" juxtaposed against the ultra-modern and mostly glass Butz Corporate Center. Wow. Just seeing Greg's work being unfurled during the set-up in the Butz building gave me a huge thrill.
Don't miss "Momentum," featuring the work of over 30 local artists converging on Hamilton Street in Allentown.

MOMENTUM- Expanding the Dialog of Contemporary Art in Allentown
Butz Corporate Center, 840 Hamilton St.
Opening Friday Dec 12th 5-9pm
Open Sat Dec 13th 12-5pm
Open daily Dec 15th-19th 11-2pm
Closing festivities Sat Dec 20th 5-9pm

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow is right! Thanks for the "leak" Mrs. Dottie! It is so great that Greg Weaver is showing downtown again at "Momentum!"

Anonymous said...

Buy at Butz.

Anonymous said...

Looks like there are hipsters converging downtown again, I shall be there ...

Anonymous said...

I was over at Butz today. There is a ton of artwork there. Can't wait for the show!

Anonymous said...

I second that!!

Angie Villa said...

Greg also said that his art "is a translation of cultural energy that I feel, into a language that speaks to those with no special knowledge of art, as well as to the knowledgeable."

In other words, his art is for everyone to enjoy. And I could not agree with him more about art being for everyone, not just the elite who can afford the high price galas and soirees. His images are ones that we are all familiar with and can understand, but what he does with those images is what takes it into the realm of "art."

Our Chen show is free admission, and will be visible from the street. I hope it will draw lots of different people, and give much needed exposure to local artists.

Anonymous said...

Momentum is such a great name for this 2nd Chen Arts Group (CHARGE) show because it really captures the group's harmonious synergy and dizzyingly rapid progress.

Anonymous said...

Villas, I am LOVING your "Set For Life" CD! Looking forward to meeting you both at the Butz show.

Bill Villa said...

Thanks "JT," glad you're enjoying it. Scroll down to Mrs. Dottie's post "Sound Matters" if you'd like to hear two new songs from The Villas 3rd CD-in-progress, "Fun Park USA." Hope to see you at the Momentum show opening ...

Anonymous said...

Villas, GREAT new tunes! I especially like the moody second song, "My Occupation."

Bill Villa said...

Thank you, "JT." I especially like Mrs. Dottie's er I mean Angie Villa's guitar solo in that song. It has a David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) feel to it ...

Anonymous said...

I KNOW what you mean!

Angie Villa said...

Hey, BV let's not "hijack" this post, you know we lose all credibility in the local blobosphere when we do that.;D

Kiki said she has put Greg Weaver's Big Black Cow front and center at the MOMENTUM show! Can't wait to see.

Bill Villa said...

I'm with ya Mrs. D but I must point out that before "Blogger Tuesday at The Morning Call," my BNN ratings booster comments were welcomed as healthy dissent. After "Blogger Tuesday," my comments became BNN ratings booster "hijackings."

Timing's everything ;)

Angie Villa said...

MOMENTUM is gaining momentum.

Who cares what those hateful blobbers have to say?

Thanks Joshua T.

Anonymous said...

"Thanks Joshua T."

Mrs. Dottie is a Hottie.

Angie Villa said...

Okay, I am blushing now. Don't forget JT, I am very happily married ;D

Bill Villa said...

I agree totally with Joshua T that Mrs. Dottie is a Hottie.

Hey JT, can you teach us how to make those web links?

Anonymous said...

CAN DO, just emailed you both the "secret formula," good luck!

modern-furniture-guy said...

I agree, a Super Hottie my friends...