Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A-Town Ethics Board to Rule on Mike Donovan Ethics Debacle Today

I spoke w/ Allentown Ethics Board Attorney Charles J. Fonzone yesterday at 5:48pm.

Attorney Fonzone admitted to me that he had no intention of returning my several phone messages (and emails) and that I had reached him via the dumb luck of him answering his own phone after hours.

We both chuckled when I said, "Attorney Fonzone, if I were you, I wouldn't have called
me back either."

Attorney Fonzone then answered all my questions in what I thought was about as straight-forward a manner as was possible, considering that this
Allentown Ethics Board is a tad shall we say rusty on its practices, procedures, formats, agendas, etc., which Fonzone readily admitted.

Attorney Fonzone volunteered that he doesn't know
Michael Donovan and that he has no existing relationship w/ him. I told Fonzone that I appreciated his sensitivity to my cronyism sensitivity, but that I hadn't asked him anything about a connection w/ Donovan.

My Excellent Questions and Attorney Fonzone's (Paraphrased) Answers

Q. Is Wednesday's meeting open to the public and will attendees be able to speak? A. It is open to the public and the Ethics Board is still considering allowing some limited input from the public. However, it wouldn't be for the purpose of evidence gathering, as the only relevant evidence here is Mr. Villa's complaint and Mr. Donovan's response, both of which have already been submitted and considered.

Q. What's the format and agenda for Wednesday's meeting. Will someone be leading/moderating the meeting? A. The Ethics Board will be delivering (reading aloud) its Written Advisory Opinion on this matter. Format, moderator, etc., has yet to be determined.

Q. Donovan was quoted on 69 News as saying he would "appeal and request a hearing if the Ethics Board ruled against him." Is there an appeal mechanism in the City's Ethics Board procedures? A. I don't see one there myself, but another lawyer may have a different interpretation. Once the Ethics Board renders its opinion, its work is done. So the question would be to whom would Mr. Donovan appeal?

Q. Has time expired for Donovan to request a hearing? I hope it hasn't because I've wanted to go one-on-one against Donovan in front of the Ethics Board all along, and if there's anything you can do to facilitate a hearing still happening I'd really appreciate that. A. I don't know the answer to this question.

25 comments:

LVS SiteMeter(R)* Spotlight said...

Domain Name > (Unknown)
IP Address > Unknown (Unknown Organization)
ISP > Unknown ISP
Continent > Unknown
Country > Unknown
Lat/Long > Unknown

Time of Visit > Jun 2 2010 8:26:25 am

* SiteMeter(R) District Court-Approved in Wind Gap PA, Only

Anonymous said...

"the question would be to whom would Mr. Donovan appeal?"

Hmm, let me guess ...

Foo Foo said...

Don't forget this higher authority.....

The City Official said...

Villas you've won before even striding into the arena today, irregardless of the "verdict."

Bill Villa said...

We agree, City O, it's not about arriving at the destination, it's about savoring the journey.

Sondra Wise said...

Victorious V's, is there any truth to the rumor that Michael Donovan was the (still un-named) undercover paid informant in this ethical debacle?

Bill Villa said...

We'll look into it (we're hearing it here exclusively natch for the first time at LVS) but it certainly fits Donovan's M.O.

Donovan's been severely "insulted" by O'Hare on several occasions but Donovan keeps coming back to O'Hare repeatedly for more. I suppose the O'Hare "stroking" Donovan good times makes it worthwhile to O'Hare-Duped Dunce LapDog Donovan, overall.

Then again, those "falling outs" might be staged (at the Chris Casey-described Team O'Hare "Town Hall" meetings), like pro wrestling.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Billy Boy, you pusillanimously changed my post again in the previous post.

If you're such a "man," so tough and all, why do you do that?

Angie Villa said...

"Anonymous" (wink wink)
a poem by Jesse Smith

He lumbers like a nursing sow
Or Pennsylvania Dutch hausfrau
He likes to put on women's clothes
And prim and fuss and pick his nose
Now isn't he a pretty miss
Our lovely girl, "Anonymous"

;D

Anonymous said...

Remarkable Villas:

You are to be commended for standing up for yourselves. That's your VICTORY as I see it, and many other as well I'm certain. I'll be shocked if this "Ethics" panel renders anything even vaguely similar with justice today. Things just don't work that way around here--- not that I'm telling YOU anythging you don't already know all too well. I've lived in 6 different cities across the USA (here for the past 10) and I've never seen a place that's so "insider" slanted. Your VICTORY is that they're all scared shitless of YOU. Just saying.

Bill Villa said...

So nice of you to say (and notice), merci.

The City Official said...

"this Allentown Ethics Board is a tad shall we say rusty on its practices, procedures, formats, agendas, etc., which Fonzone readily admitted."

Ah yes, the "play dumb" strategy, an Allentown perennial classic.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure it's an act?

Bill Villa said...

Excellent question. Could be "dumb like a fox."

Angie Villa said...

Related Info on "Insider" Slanted ;D

Angie Villa said...

More on DA (for now) Jim (hiccup) Martin

Bill Villa said...

Here's our handy
compilation sampler ...

Anonymous said...

Ethics Board ... still considering allowing some limited input from the public ... wouldn't be for the purpose of evidence gathering ...

So...more like "victim" (wink wink) impact statements :)

Bill Villa said...

That is just delicious, thank you ...

The Gremlin said...

I see (at Ramblings) that Team O'Hare Board Attorney (for now) is "Eckville Press" (wink wink)

Anonymous said...

Villas, you are eating their lunch.

And today's meeting is at noon (lunch time).
GOOD LUCK.

Bill Villa said...

Merci, I suggest Seward's Steak Shop afterwards ...

Anonymous said...

Hey, you (choke/cough) never know ...

Jon said...

F/Y/I several Spinal Tap drummers exploded spontaneously, so it's (choke/cough) not impossible!

Duck Bill platt o puss said...

We can only hope.