Monday, July 28, 2008

Ice cream love affair

I love ice-cream. Actually I love anything from the four food groups: cookies, cake, candy, and ice cream. I guess most kids do. Here's me at six (bad haircut, Mom!) waiting for my birthday party to start. We always had those vanilla/chocolate ice cream cups with the little wooden spoons, along with the cake at every birthday party I can remember. On Saturday nights my Dad would take us to the Dairy Queen, and that was a treat. That's when I fell in love with "soft serve."

So where's the freshest and best ice cream in the Lehigh Valley? We love The Crystal Spring Farm Creamery/Tulip's Cafe on Route 329 Schnecksville. From Allentown, it's a nice ride in the country. http://lehighvalleyshopper.com/listings/crystal-springs-farm.php You can actually watch cows graze in the field; the same cows that provide the milk for your ice-cream. The soft serve is the creamiest by far. Anyone know why it is called "soft serve?" I usually indulge in a peanut butter sundae with soft serve twist, or a hot fudge sundae. Our little guy loves root beer floats. And hubby loves milkshakes and mile high cones. He'd have even more, but he's watching his figure. One thing about the Creamery, the smell of manure gets really strong at the end of the day and it's not so enjoyable to eat your ice cream outside on the patio at this time. It's a "Farm of Distinktion"
You can also buy farm fresh milk at their grocery store and they have a restaurant.
Coming soon: Best Candy Shop, Any suggestions?

15 comments:

3BG said...

Hmmm, Ice Cream. that place is the best. I wish I could get there more often!

Sarina said...

Crystal Spring has been selling little plastic cups of ice cream at the Growers Market. It makes for a nice weekday treat.

I love the ice cream at Confetti Cafe in Bethelhem, too. But I think my fave is the homemade stuff at LoBaido's at 8th/Liberty. Mmmm.

As for candy - I vote for Josh Early.

Bill Villa said...

"LoBaido's"

Ooh, I forgot about them, they make excellent ice cream! Everybody, in the car, let's go (hey Sarina & Matt, we missed ya Saturday Night!)

Sarina said...

Bill,

We missed everyone, too. We'll be at the next gathering for sure!

Bill Villa said...

cool cool

Bill Villa said...

My favorite candy store would have to be "The Blind Man Store," Southside Allentown, sort of where the Rita's is now (the store closed around 1967) ... they had a zillion varieties of candy, each variety priced at $.01 a piece. You could get yourself into a swell sugar coma frenzy for about a dime.

Bill Villa said...

Best Milkshake: Zesto.

Mrs. Dottie said...

I like the selection of candy at the Moravian cookshop (is that what it is still called?) on Main St. Bethlehem.

Gotta meet that daily 4 food group requirement.

petelewnes said...

has anyone been to the 8th street creamery yet? 8th and tilghman...slow service but nice to be able to walk to a corner store intown - and the ice cream is pretty good. I unfortunately love everything about lobaido's and after a huge meal always find room for their delicious ice cream. I also came across that telarico's (not sure if that's spelled right). It's on south side bethlehem across from home and planet...a little hoity toity but my goodness they don't use any waxes in their chocolates and it is really amazing quality...i get the teeniest box and it does the trick.

A.J.C. said...

It's tough to find bad ice cream. There are a ton of awesome places around the valley! Some are more traditional than flavorful and that makes them equally good!

You should start a traveling ice cream club, lol!

There are two types of ice cream I really enjoy. One would be Dip and Dots. I get it at the beach (and only the beach) each year, so maybe that has something to do with it. Plus, it's fun to eat. The other is Ben & Jerry's. Talk about a sugar rush!

Also, TCBY is really good on RT-191/Linden St. It's a little pricey, but good. They're ice cream cookie sandwiches are huge!

Mrs. Dottie said...

Aj,

We had dippin'dots at Yankee Stadium last night! They serve it in a plastic collectible baseball helmet. We have about ten of them now.

Mrs. Dottie said...

Pete,

Good advice.I've seen 8th St. Creamery but have not been there yet. I'll have to tell my hubby to get me a box of candy at that "hoity toity" place. I prefer candy over flowers!(Unless they are chocolate roses of course!)

petelewnes said...

i have no idea what the prices are like...i always get jon from home and planet to bring me some LOL

it's yummy for sure though always

Nolan LeBlanc said...

My grandfather told me that ice cream was the panacea. OK, so maybe he said it "healed every ill and made everything better," which is pretty much the same thing. Of course... he passed away during an angioplasty, but isn't that just life's irony at work?

Bill Villa said...

"It's tough to find bad ice cream." a.j.c.

(!) Mrs. Dottie, when doing a retrospective of great LV Somebody comment quotes, this here one should be in the Top 5 ;)