Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Remembering Barba-Del Campbell

Barba-Del Campbell (left, with Angie Villa) was smart, funny, and an icon of the regional arts scene for a long time. She will be greatly missed by all who enjoyed the unique pleasure of her company.

The Villa family will always treasure the many encouraging postcards and letters Barba-Del sent us over the past several years.

There are some wonderful blog posts flowering out there penned by local artists who knew Barba-Del better than we did, and we invite you to visit them ...


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That photograph of Barba-Del and Angie is really sweet.

Angie Villa said...

Thank-you anon 4:47. Bill captured the moment.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's passing, Angie. How did the two of you meet?

Angie Villa said...

Thank-you anon. We met about two years ago when I invited her to the first Chen Arts get-together,and also my friend Ro Geseck was a very close friend of Barba-Del's, for over twenty yrs.

Roy A. Wilbur said...

I met Barba-Del in March 2009 when she came to Philadelphia for her interview and photo for STORIES FROM THE PAUL ROBESON HOUSE. She had such an amazing impact on me: witty, chatty, eccentric and what a wonderful storyteller. I kept in touch with Barba-Del and spoke with her via phone a week before her death. Knowing you was much too short, Barba-Del. Thank you for making me laugh and for touching my life - I will remember you.

Those reading this post can hear Barba-Del's story about Paul Robeson at http://www.paulrobesonhouse.org/ under "The Paul Robeson Stamp."

Sue Schlack said...

Thanks for posting the photo and links for Barba-Del. I started a "Friends of Barba-Del Campbell" group on Facebook.