Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It's Just a Name

Lately I have been wondering if there are some people who would not vote for Barack Obama simply because he has a Muslim middle name. Obama does not use his middle name in his public life, but there are several media people who have highlighted his middle name to excite anti-Muslim prejudices, or to make him look like a foreignor we should not trust. http://mediamatters.org/items/200612200005 Obama is neither Muslim nor of Arab descent. Ann Coulter thinks it is funny to say "B. Hussein Obama."
I can personally relate to the name-discrimination issue, and I believe it really exists today, more than people want to admit. Check out "What's in a Name?" http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0DXK/is_9_20/ai_104521293

Even though I am of Italian descent, I had a Muslim last name until I got married at age 34. My father says our name was never changed or shortened when his parents came to America from Palermo, Sicily. It's always been Muslim. The reason we are Italians with a Muslim name is because the Moors conquered Sicily during midieval times. The Moors were from North Africa and Morocco. Then the Normans (Vikings) came along to conquer Sicily but the Arab influence remained for a long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors My father had wanted to change our name to a more Anglo sounding name, but he never did. We were still allowed to join the local Country Club, so I guess that made it okay for him. I can remember my father always making up an Anglo name when calling for dinner reservations.

When I started looking for a teaching job in the 90's I wondered if the reason why I was not getting too many interviews was because of my last name. My classmates were getting lots of interviews and even job offers at districts like Parkland, East Penn, and Bethlehem. I thought my resume was pretty impressive because I had two college degrees plus some graduate classes under my belt, plus job experience. Yet I could not even get an interview in any suburban or rural district. I was able to get interviews in urban districts like Allentown. Was it only because of my last name? I can remember the look of surprise on the interviewer's face (usually a principal or administrator) when they saw a white girl with green eyes walk in. "Oh, are you Miss ---??" It was kinda obvious they were expecting someone different. Maybe they were disappointed. So that made it hard for me to get a job in any district! Damn name! Well a name should not matter so much, but I believe in my case it did. An urban district hired me based on my student teaching experience in the district, and on the recommendation of a teacher. I think they were hoping I was a minority too, since they were actively looking for minority teachers.
I hope Barack Obama becomes president. That might help to remind people that a name is just a name.


The above painting is "The Annunciation" painted by Sicilian artist Antonello da Messina in 1476











9 comments:

my name is Pat Wallace said...

good point dottie. seems this is one of those times when the people need to take a giant step into the future when it comes to not judging based on long-established notions and prejudices. but can they be force-fed? still not clear on whom
to vote for, and hoping a muslim name
is not a dealbreaker for a nation fearful of the unknown.sys

Bill Villa said...

So what if Obama were a practicing Muslim? Would this be a valid reason to not vote for him as President?

Are we really that dumb as a nation that we can't discern the difference between mutated radical islamists who want to kill us and people who practice the Muslim religion? Wasn't 'freedom from religious persecution' one of the reasons why the United States of America was started? And aren't I being 'patriotic' in saying this? All rhetorical questions by the way, but go ahead NeoCons, make my day, and yours ...

Angie Villa said...

Speaking of being patriotic...

Obama was spotted without a flag pin on his lapel! How dare he!

Anonymous said...

I thought that middle name and lapel pin thing was obnoxious myself. I am a registered R but I did vote for Clinton and Kerry. I also feel that Ann Coulter is in the business to just sell books. What else has she done???????? And when it comes to book selling, the more you make waves the more you are in the news and that means good publicity for selling books at huge profits.

Angie Villa said...

It's really unbelievable the kinds of things people like Ann Coulter will say just to sell books. If we choose to ignore people like her, then this kind of hatred will only continue. More people should speak out about her. She is a disgrace.

Bill Villa said...

"It's really unbelievable the kinds of things people like Ann Coulter will say just to sell books."

Michael Moore does it too. He lies, in a "the ends justifies the means" sort of way. Rent the flick "Manufacturing Dissent" and you'll see what I mean. He's not as big a liar as Ann Coulter or Bill O'Liely. But he is a liar.

Anonymous said...

I saw "60 minutes" segment Sunday. They interviewed this truck driver, who can't afford health insurance for himself or his wife. He goes on tearfully how his wife has MS. They asked him if he was voting for Obama, he says. "Oh, no! He's a Muslim. He swore on a Quran instead of a Bible, and he doesn't wear a flag pin." I didn't know whether to feel more sympathy for the guy for his lack of reasoning, or none.

Angie Villa said...

Thanks Z, I missed 60 minutes.

Obama's Kenyan grandmother is speaking out about the name issue:

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/_a/obamas-grandma-rips-campaign-tactics/20080305150509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Hope the link works. What is disturbing is that many of the comments underneath the article are so racist.

There was a letter to the editor in today's MC about Obama's name. I am going to check out those comments. This is sad.

And the picture of Obama in turban was sent to the media by someone in Hillary Clinton's campaign!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a flag pin either... I guess I am dead meat then huh? :):):)