Monday, March 24, 2008

Mrs.D's Restaurant Review: House of Chen

Since I like to root for the underdog, I thought I'd bypass the big shots at "Renaissance Square" and dine at the blogger recommended, unpretentious House of Chen down the street at 732 Hamilton St. I have eaten at the new Brew Pub, which is fab in all it's multi-leveled sparkly splendor, but I feel for some of the struggling tax paying merchants and I would like to support them. Due to the new LANTA terminal being built, bus stops on Hamilton have been removed and some long standing businesses are struggling, some even closing. This is mostly due to the lack of foot traffic on this block of Hamilton. Fellow blogger and Allentown activist Michael Molovinsky has done a lot to call attention to this issue and to stand up for these merchants. http://molovinskyonallentown.blogspot.com/2008/01/mistake-of-parking-authoritylanta.html



HC has been serving the Lehigh Valley delicious Chinese food for over 30 years. And the decor is very retro Chinese circa Columbo/McMillan and Wife. Lots of red paper lanterns make the ambience refreshingly kitschy. There's a tank of some very funny looking misanthropes of the fish world. There's even a glass showcase of Chinese chachka at the register. The dining area is spacious. The big round tables have lazy susans, so you don't have to say "pass the noodles." Lazy bloggers with tired noodles love this feature. This was my second visit to HC and for me this place is all about taste and value.


The best value is the combination dinner platter. You get an egg roll, fried rice, and soup or dessert with your dinner, all for the great price of $7.65. I ordered the shrimp with lobster sauce, and last time I had the sesame chicken. Both were so delicious, and different than most Chinese take out places in Allentown. My fried rice was a darker color than usual, had a unique flavor and texture. No soy sauce needed. The shrimp with lobster sauce was flavorful and hearty. When I had the sesame chicken I took home so much that I was able to get two additional meals from it. Can't beat that for 7 bucks. And after eating this Chinese food you won't be hungry 2 hours later. The service was excellent- fast, friendly and attentive.


They have a bar, which is very smoky. The lunch specials are only $3.95, and they have an all you can eat lunch buffet for just $4.50 Mon.-Fri. 11-3. They are closed on Sundays.

(610) 439-1330

Thanks to Bernie O'Hare for the photo








5 comments:

Bernie O'Hare said...

Very nice review, Mrs. Dottie! The company was even nicer.

Bill Villa said...

Re: "And the decor is very retro Chinese circa Columbo/McMillan and Wife."

What a coincidence you mention Columbo and House of Chen. I dined at House of Chen recently and there was a gentleman there in a five-some who looked exactly like Columbo ...

DemoThug said...

I had a five-some once.

Angie Villa said...

Yes, there have been several celeb look-a-likes spotted at HC. I've seen Don Johnson there a few times too. My fortune said that next time I will meet George Clooney.

Anonymous said...

I love the house of chen...one of my favorite spots and they do a monthly malaysian night I believe which is some really unique dishes!