Saturday, February 2, 2008

One Aspect of the Crime Problem: Allentown's Youth

I believe that an immediate response to crime in Allentown would have to be increased police presence all over the city, not just in the sparkly lights district where all the new development is taking place. But I don't have the experience to offer anything other than my opinion regarding solutions to Allentown's crime problem. Since I am a former ASD teacher, what I would like to offer is my perspective on the sad fact that so much crime is being committed by teenagers and young adults.


Reading the story about the murder of Sondra Yohe in 2005, the young girl who was mistakenly shot and killed while driving down an alley near Jackson Elementary, just broke my heart. Sondra, and her passenger Aubrey were both students of mine when I taught middle school art in the ASD. Ironically, the boys who killed her were also my students, Cesar Febus and Eric Morales. Febus was sentenced to life in prison. Morales has not been sentenced yet. The other young man, Daniel Lugo, may have been one of my students because I remember his name, but I am not sure. He was just sentenced to 50-100 yrs. in prison. Several of my former students are now in jail for murder. I only wish I could have inspired them to take other paths.


During my final year teaching middle school my open minded principal allowed me to teach a special art class
for talented special-ed, ESOL (English as a second language), or at risk kids who did not qualify to be part of the school's "arts team." The "arts team" was a select group of talented, well behaved mostly white kids with good grades. I felt that so many other talented kids were being excluded from the "arts team", and that they could really benefit from an intensive art program. I called my group of 8th graders "The Expressionists". We visited the Allentown Art Museum several times, we had artist in residencies with local artists and writers, and we did really neat projects like hand made books. These kids had art class every day of the week. Some of them were challenging because of behavior issues. But overall it was a great learning experience for both me and the kids. I had an after school club for kids too. I'm sure now since the curriculum is geared around testing, that I would not be able to teach such a class.


My point here is that maybe if inner city kids could get involved in the arts, music, or sports then they would resist the temptation to join gangs. Maybe they would want to stay in school. They would be more optimistic about their future. Allentown has so many ball fields, basketball courts and parks. The kids should be using these facilities. Maybe we need more after school programs. Allentown needs a skateboard park. Maybe more parents, teachers, and community members should want to get involved as good role models for kids. I try to do as much as I can by volunteering at my son's school, but I know I could be doing even more. I don't have specific programs or plans, these are just my ideas. Maybe our elected leaders could work with the ASD on some additional programs for at risk youth.





9 comments:

Bill Villa said...

Is there still a Police Athletic League (PAL) in Allentown for baseball, football, basketball, etc.? When I was 8, my first sports team experience was playing on a PAL baseball team coached by an Allentown cop. It was great. There were white kids, black kids, latino kids, all kinds of kids on this team (no girls integrated yet back then, sorry, but this was a long time ago). I remember seeing coach/cop Andy coaching in his sports clothes, usually, and ... in his police uniform a time or two. On the bench, he'd talk about baseball strategy and about people he had arrested that day and why. I still run into some of the "kids" who played on that team. As far as I know, none of us has ever been in jail.

michael molovinsky said...

i believe PAL as an interactive program with youth got pretty gutted a few years ago in a squabble about what police can and cannot do off duty, but i'll leave the details to someone who knows more. We certainly do need more athletic and mentoring opportunities as an alternative for kids. We should all make a commitment to look into how and what we could contribute to such efforts, dottie, thanks for shining the light on this need

Bill Villa said...

"We should all make a commitment to look into how and what we could contribute to such efforts, dottie, thanks for shining the light on this need"

Yep I agree. I'm not a psychologist (just a bleeding heart liberal) but don't "at-risk" youth gravitate toward gangs because it's a substitute (albeit a lousy one) for the love and family experiences they may not have in their lives? Not to say that some kids who are truly loved don't end up as gang members; I'm sure some do. But think how many kids could be influenced against joining a gang if they felt they had a "better deal," via positive role model associations and approval and group things to do (art, music, sports, volunteerism, etc.) that would help them to feel good and optimistic about themselves and their future. Seems like a no-brainer ... but ... are we maximizing these options around here? A gutted PAL program would indicate that possibly we're aren't. But as MM suggests, let's see where we all can contribute ... and overflow the glass ... in addition to pointing out where the glass is maybe only half full ...

Angie Villa said...

RE "but don't "at-risk" youth gravitate toward gangs because it's a substitute (albeit a lousy one) for the love and family experiences they may not have in their lives?"

Yes, this is very true. But what can we do about parents who are criminals themselves? I can remember young kids saying to me that their parents actually taught them how to steal. Are we really making kids a priority today? I know that new business ops are an important part of a city's revitalization, but the increasing number of Allentown teens involved in shootouts and violent crime should be a priority.

Anonymous said...

I think youth join gangs, not just to make up a void in their family life, but life in general.
There use to be more after school programs in the 90s in order to prevent crime. Unfortunately they are not as valued now by the powers that be. It is considered an "entitlement", and subject to cutback on our 3.5 trillion dollar budget. I hope in the coming year we resume the right priorities again.

Danita Goode said...

I currently mentor youth in the Allentown, PA area (mostly girls) through my church, Resurrection Worship Center ("RWC" - on the corner of Tilghman & Ridge Ave.) I also recently signed up to mentor children through Valley Youth House.

I'm pretty new to the area (moved from Orlando, FL a little over two years ago) and immediately got involved in RWC's community outreach programs. This year, I was appointed the Creative Arts Ministry Director. I'm teaching beginner's level of dance forms ( hip-hop, expressive, liturgical and ballet), as well as drama.

I enjoy encouraging young people to focus their energy and talent into positive things that will benefit them, their family, school and community. What's sad is that too many of them have no direction and are in desparate need for positive adult role models who will mentor them and be there every step of the way to help them set and achieve goals to improve their future.

I carry this burden deep in my heart because I was a "troubled ghetto-kid" who got into a lot of trouble and finally found her way out into a big beautiful world full of hope and a world of opportunities because several adults unrelated to me played an integral part in giving me guidance.

My dream is to open up an after-school program in Allentown, PA. I made up my mind this year to do whatever it takes to get started and complete whatever is required to accomplish this task.

I'm gathering information to find out how to get it started. It appears from what I've read so far that there are a lot of "hoops and loops" that I need to jump through (red tape - ugh!)

I know it's going to take a lot of hard work and finances. I'm up for the hard work (as time allows because I'm also employed in NYC). The finances, I'll let God handle that as He moves on the hearts of people to give when all the plans and required paperwork are put in order.

In the meantime, however, I sure would like to keep in touch with each of you and build relationships with others who are like-minded - who have a passion to help inner-city kids stay out of trouble and make the City of Allentown a safer place.

I'm willing to meet you as a group in person to discuss this matter in the near future as my plans develop into something tangible. A team of people like you, with a similar passion, would be a force to be reckoned with! Together, we can spark a fire that would ultimately change the face of the City of Allentown. If the kids know that there are adults out there that really care, perhaps we can pave the way to help youth help themselves and, thus, reduce the percetage of crimes committed by youth.

In the meantime, I can use all the prayers, encouragement, advice and help I can get. Let's keep in touch and make this happen! It doesn't have to be a dream and I'm pretty sure that where there's a will, there's a way -- God help us!

Angie Villa said...

Danita,

Thanks so much for your comment, and I commend you for what you are doing for the kids in Allentown. I would like to to help you out, as much as I can, with ideas for an art program. I know some contacts, like the Lehigh Valley Arts Council, that might be able to help. I wish I could help financially, but I am just not in that kind of position. Maybe there are some people reading this who are willing to help out as well. I would like to post something at my blog about you and your program, and your future plans for an after-school program. I'm sure some of the other bloggers would be willing to spread the word. Can I e-mail you?

Danita Goode said...

Hi Mrs. Dottie!

Thank you soooo much for your encouragement. Of course you can email me (goodeseed@verizon.net).

I'm really looking forward to getting the after-school program off the ground. There's a lot of foot work to do, paperwork to get through and lots of people I need to speak to (ask questions and get advice regarding financial planning, facility acquisition, volunteers, community involvement, etc.) This will take several months.

I'm not asking anyone for any financial support at this time - that's something that will come later on AFTER the after-school program is in place and active.
I'm believing for a miracle from God to provide all that is needed through people who want to maintain the program AFTER it's proven to be a positive influence in the City of Allentown.

What is important to me right now is to network with people who have a heart for kids and who are willing to volunteer some of their time to help me make this happen. I need to meet with community and business leaders, education professionals, math, English and science tutors, as well as individuals gifted and willing to teach creative arts and sports.

I need a strong team willing to help build and maintain a strong positive presence in Allentown. Money is not an issue at this point, it's a hard work ethic, leadership skills, administrative skills, compassion, excitement, etc.

So again, thank you for your encouragement, your willingness to spread the word through your blog, and for offering ideas for an arts program. I open and receptive to any help I can get (some things you just can't put a price on). I look forward to meeting with you and your contacts. Speak to you soon.

Truly grateful,

Danita

Anonymous said...

Sondra died as the result of being an innocent bystander related to illegal sale of drugs. How many people have to die before we simply make this crap legal?

Ask yourself some tough questions. Would you take heroin if it was legal? I certainly wouldn't. So keeping these street drugs illegal isn't preventing their abuse anyway. I say we legalize them, tax them and use the money to fight crime and concentrate the effort on keeping drugs out of the hands of children. Much the same way we do with gambling.

If street drugs were legal. Sondra would still be alive.