Sunday, April 6, 2008

Are Urban Issues Being Ignored?


With the Pennsylvania primary coming up on April 22, you would think that the presidential candidates would be focusing on urban issues. Pennsylvania has 14 metropolitan areas, the ABE area being one of them, and more than 80% of Pennsylvanians live in those areas. Is it just assumed that the cities will vote Democratic, or is it because more voters live in the suburbs? Is it because urban issues are being overshadowed by the economy and Iraq? Obama lives in the city of Chicago and was a former community organizer, Hillary Clinton represents New York City. They should have some good ideas, and I'm sure they do, but they are not talking much about them. American cities drive the national economy, attract business and tourists. I believe it is important for our cities to thrive. Speaking of tourists, I've heard our mayor even has plans to attract tourists to Allentown by opening a new downtown "boutique hotel." C'est tres chic! ;}

Some important urban issues include crime, city revitalization (this is where the arts can help), crumbling infrastructure, underperforming schools (another place the arts can help), early childhood education, programs for at-risk youth (this is another area where the arts can help), poverty, housing, mass transit, did I mention crime? Pretty important stuff if you ask me.

The candidates like to talk about energy independence and dealing with greenhouse gases. Many of their ideas include making cities more livable for families, and better transit (high-speed rail for example), yet the suburban van driving moms and SUV dads seem to dominate the campaign scene.
I think in order to move the country forward the candidates need to talk about the real issues confronting our cities. How about starting with New Orleans? Remember them?
UPDATE: I just read at Mcall.com that the deal fell through and the Americus will not become a "boutique hotel" after all. Quel dommage!


Photo is a Lego sculpture that is supposed to symbolize the rebuilding of New Orleans

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point. I agree that it does seem urban issues are being ignored. Considering the "economic downturn" going on right now, you would think there would be some discussion on problems other than just our outrageous gas prices. Maybe I've just missed it. I think a lot of our urban problems in A-town could get on the road to recovery with a solid arts base and the expansion of the police department. Wouldn't it be nice to have officers on foot patrolling communities and getting to know the good residents while seeing firsthand where the "problem areas" are? OK, maybe I'm having a Mayberry fantasy there, but it's a nice idea!

Angie Villa said...

Sarina,

I agree that we really need more police officers patrolling communities. I just read a really disturbing comment at "Molovinsky on Allentown" from a 55 yr. old man who was nearly beaten to death near Allen High by teenage thugs. And then he had a couple more incidents, one involving a kid with a gun. I'm hearing more and more about incidents involving teenagers near Allen High and West Park. Something needs to be done immediately. I think people need to feel safe before anything else.

joe skrapits said...

The "solid arts base" side of the equation that you both have mentioned is what the arts commission is trying to address. As I've said before, this needs to be a community-based and artist-led effort with city support. We want to create opportunities for involvement by artists of all disciplines. I'm looking forward to the meeting at House of Chen on the 25th.

Anonymous said...

That story at Allen High sounds awful. I'm glad there are few random violent acts occurring and that most of the thugs are keeping it in their little gangs.
Some of the kids around Allen High can be such trouble. It's a beautiful neighborhood, but every time I drive down 15th or 17th St on a weekday afternoon I thank my lucky stars I don't live there. The rude attitudes a lot of these teens have, plus the mess and noise they create, is obnoxious.

And to Joe - I too am looking forward to House of Chen! It will be fun to meet everyone and talk about what we'd all like to see happening here for arts.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mr. Skrapit, the revitalization of Allentown MUST begin with the community itself. No matter how many new buildings and apartments are built, if the community is NOT involved or feels left out, NOTHING will get better.
I know the current attitude is "a few bad apples spoil the bunch, but I assure you, there are more hardworking and law abiding citizens in A-town than what is actually placed into the perception of people's minds. I would like to know more about the arts meeting or at least how I could get involved. alfonsotodd36@msn.com

Angie Villa said...

Hi Anon (Alfonso),

If you scroll down on this blog there is a post about the artist get together at House of Chen on Fri. April 25th 6:30 pm. Please leave a comment there and let me know if you will be bringing a guest. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else who has responded. Thanks for commenting.

michael molovinsky said...

the blogosphere is a very liberal place. i unfortunately must remind you that during heydt's term, when we had more police officers than we even now hope to have, allentown still set the murder record. i maintained since the early 2000's that we must avoid attracting an endless stream of problems, which are attracted to this city by a surplus of overly financed social and housing agencies. i spent alot of energy and time on this message, it's not politically correct, but only those cities that understand this are the ones which have improved, such as nyc.

Anonymous said...

Mr M. is correct in his own right. People DO need to learn how to be self sufficient. It seems everyone now knows or is learning how to "Play the system" and cities like A-town are paying a big price for it. I often wonder if it would be better to try to ease people off the social welfare system or just immediately stop it and let the pieces fall as they may? I am not saying people don't need assistance, because, especially in these days and times, there are alot of people needing help, but there really should be a TRUE limit and expectation of those that recieve aid. By the way, Dottie, I will be coming to the House of Chen alone. IS there a guest list ? -Alfonsotodd36@msn.com

Angie Villa said...

Alfonso,
It's an informal gathering, no guest list, I just need to give House of Chen an idea of how many people will be attending. The response has been great!

Angie Villa said...

MM,

I agree with you on the housing issue. But NYC also increased its police force during Guiliani's term.