Monday, April 21, 2008

Artist Get-Together This Friday!

Here's the plan for the AGT this Fri. House of Chen, 732 Hamilton St. 6:30 PM.

Jenny from House of Chen told me parking will be available in the lot behind the Wachovia Bank.

We will be seated at the big round tables in the back of the restaurant. There will be a sign- in sheet so please write your name, e-mail and phone #. Optional name tags will be provided. I'll wear a name tag. Bring a pen. This meeting is not being funded by a grant, so you'll have to bring your own pens and buy your own dinner and drinks (it's cheap)! There will be some paper at each table. Please discuss the following questions with the people at your table, and jot down ideas.

1. What do you think about having a group show/event downtown? What do you think about including visual art, live music, and writing? Other suggestions?

2. What would the theme be? My idea is something about Allentown's future and facing challenges.

3. Where could we have this event?

4. Other questions, concerns, or ideas?

It would be nice to set a date, time and place for the event and just go for it. Let's set realistic goals we know can be accomplished. We don't need a lot of fanfare. The blogs can provide some free advertising.

After jotting down ideas it would be nice if people could walk around and read ideas from other tables. I will take your ideas home, and send a group e-mail. Please print out this page and bring it with you on Fri. night. There are several people who don't read blogs and don't have e-mail so they will need to see this.

Once everyone arrives I will make a short announcement, but I'm not much of a public speaker so if anyone else wants to talk, please do. Joe Skrapits, Allentown Arts Commissioner will be attending. He may want to address the group.

This should be fun! I'm looking forward to re-connecting with old friends and meeting new ones. I hope this can be the start of something positive for the arts in Allentown.




17 comments:

gsbrace said...

I wish I had artistic skills.

This is hopefully the start of something great.

Many congrats for your initiative Mrs. Dottie.

Look Out Lehigh Valley said...

Dottie,

I won't be there Friday because I have a meeting with my editor on Friday and I won't be back in Allentown until late, but I did want to let you know that I think this is totally awesome, I'd love to be involved in whatever capacity I can be helpful, please update afterwards if possible!

Also, I just want to note that on Sunday my friends and I went to the museum, and afterwards spent the afternoon enjoying the nice weather in the Arts Park... there was only one other person in the park, a man who was reading quietly in the shade. Other than him, we were the only people there! I'm sure it would be a suitable venue for any outdoor activities you can think up.

Mrs. Dottie said...

LOLV,

I am glad you are interested in future involvement. I think you have some good ideas. I miss your posts at Poliblog. I think utilizing the Arts Park would make sense. I will talk to Joe from the Arts Commission to see what's involved. Maybe after the dinner a group of us could take a walk, the weather should be nice.

Sarina said...

I can't believe this gathering is coming so fast! Thanks for putting a list on your blog of topic starters and questions. Hopefully people come prepared to hash out some ideas. I'm sure it will be a really great evening, no matter what happens.

Sarina said...

By the way, LOLV, I was at the museum, too on Sunday. I had to see the Ernest Withers blues photos. They were great! I'm not sure what kind of programming Mayfair and the city have developed for the Arts Park. I do know of one event for this summer - a free outdoor movie with Spanish subtitles. Otherwise, we should pounce on that park and put it to good use!

Anonymous said...

I actually have obtained approval to do an event on Hamilton Street between 6th and 7th, which will include the Arts Walk called Upward Bound, Allentown ! on July 12th. It will be a multi-cultural event and I would love to include any type of artist showcases: visual, theatrical, audio, etc for this event. I am getting alot of interest and this is NOT being funded by any city grants, etc . It's just me and any interested organizations, people, whomever...

Alfonso Todd

Bernie O'Hare said...

Cool pic!

Mrs. Dottie said...

Alfonso,

If you would like to make an announcement on Fri. night about your event please feel free to do so. Sounds like a neat idea. I tried to contact HALA (Hispanic Artists)of Allentown through e-mail but did not hear back. Do you have a contact there?

Mrs. Dottie said...

Hi BernO,

Thanks, it's from a movie about Andy Warhol and his Factory.

petelewnes said...

Hi Mrs. Dottie...I need to get the word out a bit more but I've mentioned this to Community Artist Network's Ben Miosi to come and to Hala...Hala's email is: halamio@yahoo.com
halaworks@yahoo.com

CAN's email is: bmiosi@gmail.com I look forward to this and appreciate you pulling things together!

Mrs. Dottie said...

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the addresses. I did e-mail HALA last week but did not hear back from them. I think it might have been a different address. If anyone can pass the word around that would be great. My 6 yr. old son is off from school for three days(conferences) and he is demanding my attention every minute so I won't have much time to work on contacting people.
I've never heard of CAN, it would be nice to meet them. We should have a good crowd on Fri night!

Bill Villa said...

Looking forward to it!

atown-liker said...

Mrs. Dottie -- We aren't able to attend tonight, but wish you success in your efforts.

michael molovinsky said...

mrs. dottie, many years ago there was an artist co-op on hamilton st, on a large low rent second floor. about 25 artists would chip in to pay the rent and take turns minding the "store"
respectively submitted by columbo

Nolan LeBlanc said...

What an inspiring and diverse group full of hopes, plans and energy! This is where community happens. Thank you for organizing the get-together!!

michael molovinsky said...

mrs. dottie, i agree with nolan, feel free to add party planning to your long menu of available services

Mrs. Dottie said...

Thanks Nolan, and MM.

A-town liker, I will post about future events, hope you can make some of those. I know Look Out Lehigh Valley is interested in participating as well.

Ro Geseck wrote a nice comment about the idea of an artist co-op and I will include that when I send an e-mail to the group. There were some ideas that could easily start happening, like themed art shows in the restaurants, some guerilla street art at Alfonso's July event between 6th and 7th Sts.

The Arts Park may not be able to be utilized for community events with tents because of the underground sprinkler system(no pegs allowed in grass).