Monday, April 14, 2008

Exploring Allentown

On Sat. we went to two free events in Allentown. One was the History Expo at the LV Heritage Museum, where we got to try free samples of scrapple mit apple butter, play with some historical toys and games, and see some neat exhibits. We greeted Pip the Mouse who gave my son a free flag. I enjoyed the "Victory Garden" showcase and learned that during WWII housewives planted vegetable gardens because of food rationing. When I told my soulmate that I'd like to start a garden to feed my family, he suggested that we get some cattle too. I think if we could save money on fruits and vegetables then we will be able to pay that little extra for those custom cut steaks at our neighborhood Hersh's Market.

Our next stop was at the free opening of the "America on Wheels Museum." I heard that this project has been in the making for twenty years. It sure looks fabulous. Right next door is an abandoned, crumbling building, which really draws more attention to A-town's blight when contrasted with the shiny new museum. My favorite part of the Museum was the 1957 station wagon exhibit complete with a family of 50's mannequins. When we got upstairs for the "muscle cars" we stopped at the cafe where we saw some live acoustic music and had a $1 coke and ice cream float.

When we left we drove down Front St. and stopped in at Bucky Boyle Park and looked across the river to "Adams Island." We gotta figure out how to get there! I can't believe my hubby has lived here all his life but he did not know how to get to Adams Island. After driving around for a while we finally found the road that led to this weird little pocket of a private island community. NO TRESPASSING the sign says. Is this really Allentown? A private waterfront resort? Wow, there's so much weird stuff down by the riverfront. It really needs to be developed. What is happening with the 175 million dollar "Waterfront" project by those two young developers? Here's a link to the grand plans for the future: http://www.dunntwiggar.com/waterfront.php
I believe the Neuweiler Brewery has been abandoned for like 40 yrs. There's so much potential here, I don't get it.


Photo: Remains of the Neuweiler Brewery

12 comments:

Blah Society said...

Boo! Scrapple! Boo! Hish! Yuck! Etc...

Sounded fun, though. I wish I could have went.

Anonymous said...

Retired ASD teacher here.

Mrs. Dottie . . .

That whole riverfront renaissance idea was fine, but it failed to realize the Lehigh River is not navigable throughout that stretch.
There will be no riverboats,etc.

Also understand, the PPL infrastructure located there can not be replaced (hidden from view) and there is NO parking whatsoever to make such a vision possible.

Add to the above, the reluctance of Allentown's leadership to recognize the perception of crime that overshadows anything that happens within its region, and you can understand why this city remains behind similar cities in Pennsylvania, when it comes to development ideas.

Crime (and safety) should be "job one," but Mayor Ed and his minions think we are all misinformed on this issue.

Fine. I'll stay home 'til they convince me otherwise.

Bill said...

There is a lot of cool stuff down there. I have done the Canal path from Allentown to Easton on my bike and the river front is oddly unappreciated pretty much along the whole stretch.

Angie Villa said...

Teacher,

I agree with you, public safety must come first.

AJ,
Scrapple tastes okay if you drown it in apple butter,
and don't think about the ingredients.

Bill Villa said...

Is it really true that the former Neuweiler Brewery building has been sitting there rotting since 1968? How is this even allowed by law? Does anybody (the city?) own that eyesore and deathtrap for kids playing nearby? How many Allentown Mayors have ignored it?

michael molovinsky said...

brewery is a long story, which if i fully tell publicly, i will need my lawyer. first the city sold it to the wrong guy who sort of raped the property. the lower level is full of used roofing materials, which would cost a million to take to landfill. the building was stripped in brutal fashion, large area's were left unsecured for years. proposals for creative reuse over the years were met with no cooperation or help from the city, etc. in spite of all this, it does remain an interesting building, but a case study in poor municipal leadership

Angie Villa said...

MM,

Wow, How could they be so dumb?

I read in today's paper that the Waterfront Project will start in two years. And then it will be done in phases. I guess I will believe it when I see it.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have driven around aimlessly trying to figure out how to reach different waterfront spots. It's no picnic! It would be nice to see some more public access along the river. For now, the canal path is great. I like to go by the rail yard.

Your weekend of local events sounds like fun. Even the scrapple.

Angie Villa said...

Hi Sarina,

I'm always looking for fun and free things to do locally.
I have a really active 6 year old!

Angie Villa said...

Nolan,

Thanks for the link. This sounds like a neat event!

Angie Villa said...

Regarding the upcoming arts event in Bucky Boyle Park:I read about this "Green Man Festival"(it's in today's MC) that the Circle of Stones group (formerly located in Emmaus)is having, and they will even have murals on display in the Neuweiler Brewery. It's an all day event that costs $35 for adults and $10 for children! I don't think I can afford $80 to "share the love."

Anonymous said...

"Scrapple tastes okay if you drown it in apple butter," If you get the scrapple from R&R Provisions in Easton you will love it. The Hatfield and Meadowsomething brand they have in the grocery stors here can not even compare to R&R. R&R uses buckwheat in there scrapple, these others use cornmeal and it has an inferior flavor. Just look at the product and you can tell. If it has a gray/yellow look I suggest pass it by.Solid gray and read teh label is the way to go. I tried Hatfield scrapple and never will I buy it again. Also you can grow tomatoes, cukes, squash very easily even if you do it right in a bucket filled with earth I do it all the time as well as other vegies in a garden. Better flaver, better quality, better price.Just buy 2 large tomatoes in the store and you will pay over $2 for them. And the texture between homegrown and store is a world of difference. Thanks Henry Schaadt