Friday, May 9, 2008

"Best of the People's Blogs"

Allentown's only newspaper likes to congratulate itself with "Best of the Blogs "
which is actually the best of their blogs.

To their credit, The Morning Call's Queen City Daily Blog sometimes runs "Elsewhere in the Blogosphere" where they actually have mentioned my blog and linked to it. That's nice of them to acknowledge the people's voice from elsewhere.

So now I thought I'd do my own "best of." It's purely my subjective opinion. I know MSM blogger Bill White does the Hall of Fame thing, but that's different. I think the worst stuff speaks for itself, and after the "Blog Wars" I don't want to call any more attention to that. Although I think awards and fanfare are a waste of time, I'd like to shine a light on some stand-out blogger quotes from my "Peeps."

From Michael Molovinsky: http://molovinskyonallentown.blogspot.com/ see "Merchant Dog Days"
"If one would add up the total taxpayer investment on Hamilton Street over the last two decades, then factor in the hit the merchants took by the Pawlowski endorsed Lanta move, it makes the Afflerbach Police Pension fiasco seem like small change."

Alfonso Todd at LehighValley Flavor http://lehighvalleyflavor.piczo.com/?cr=4 (not really a blog but it's his opinion) likes to emphasize certain words. I like his style:
"The word DIVERSITY is often used as a "catch phrase". You hear things such as "DIVERSITY is our strength"; "DIVERSITY" makes Allentown great" "I can appreciate the "DIVERSITY" in my neighborhood and schools" but in reality until a person truly embraces DIVERSITY, it is just lip service and Allentown will continue to spin its' wheels and go no where; and this goes for EVERYONE living in Allentown. No race or lifestyle can be exempt from this process."

City Councilman Michael Donovan has a lot to say, but I think this sums it up. Let's hope this really happens: http://donovanforallentown.blogspot.com/
"We need to consider the opinions of those who do not often have a voice in city government."

Sarina at Lehigh Valley Lexicon http://lehighlexicon.blogspot.com/ writes:"God forbid, if Allentown gentrifies, Oscar the Grouch will have to move into a recylcing bin, Cookie Monster will have to switch to low-fat soy-based treats, and Maria and Luis will flee to the suburbs. Let's keep our little city the Sesame Street that it is!"

From AJ Cordi:http://ajcordi.blogspot.com/ "The Morning Call is widely known for posting incomplete and sometimes inaccurate information, often changing, or "updating" as they call it, articles and reports without actually noting what was changed."

And the Pope Bernie O'Hare has this to say when he's not thinking about Sam Bennett ; D : "Baseball is much more complicated than blogging. It's also more fun."



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Dottie, for including me in your "Best Of" blog. I am honored to be listed along with the others you mentioned. I feel with a combined effort, we can make these words into a tangible reality, and A-town will become the great city we all are working towards !

Alfonso

Bernie O'Hare said...

Dottie, Thanks for your nice words. I particularly like the way you take a sentence from each of these blogs. You've given me an idea.

Bernie O'Hare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bernie O'Hare said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blah Society said...

Shhh... are you trying to get us all whacked!?

Good plan...

Bernie O'Hare said...

Dottie, For reasons only the blogging gods know, a response to someone on my blog was somehow posted on yours. My apologies.

Angie Villa said...

BernO,

That was weird.

Angie Villa said...

AJ,

I've always appreciated your view of The Morning Call.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Dottie,

Thanks for including my Sesame Street quote on your list! I appreciate it. This blogging thing has been addictive and fun!
And thanks for organizing the next House of Chen meeting. I hope to bring a couple new people with me. My husband might be going to the Visioning meeting tonight. If he does, I will request a full report for all the blog readers out there.

Angie Villa said...

THanks Sarina, I will look forward to the report if your hubby goes to the meeting. I would like to go, but we have all been sick and I don't have a babysitter.