Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Local Corner Market Returns!


I just drove by the newly re-modeled Hersh's Market on 19th St. and it sure looks fab.(sorry for the lame photo) The grand opening will be this Friday, May 30th. Since I am a nostalgia freak I truly believe that sometimes you have to look back to move forward, even though I have been told by an anonymous commenter, "times change, sweetheart." Well, poo-poo on you sweetheart, have fun at Wegman's, and make sure to go on a Saturday! ; D

If you click on photo it will enlarge and you can read their hours posted on the window. I am glad they will be open till 7pm on weekdays, and open on Sundays. The sign painted on the side of the building looks very nostalgic. Somebody seems to care about preserving this old-fashioned corner market. There was even a bench in front of the store yesterday, and some plants. I hope it's not too upscale. I was hoping to see more chrome, I think the black trim is kinda dark, but the lighting fixtures inside are really neat. Maybe that hippie-cynic Molovinsky will even like it. Nah, Mikey won't like it.

11 comments:

Bill Villa said...

... hope they're bringing back that amazing Hersh's butcher shop department ...

Angie Villa said...

I knew you would be the first responder.

Yes the butcher shop will be back, custom cut steaks and meats. I hope they carry some retro candy and fresh baked goods.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Looks too snazzy for Molovinsky.

Pamela Varkony said...

Mrs. Dottie,

I was going to post anonymously so I wouldn't spoil my image as a sophisticated journalist, :-) but I figured you'd know it was me anyway...

I'm really excited about the return of Hersh's. I just hope the neighborhood will support them and that they will get the same high volume of customers who used to shop there.

I'll see you at the meat counter.

Angie Villa said...

Pam,

All of the moms I have spoken with from my neighborhood are real excited and plan on shopping at the new Hersh's. Hope to see you there!

Anonymous said...

"I was going to post anonymously so I wouldn't spoil my image as a sophisticated journalist, :-)" -Pamela Varkony

Pam (my $.02) being seen and read at Mrs. Dottie's blog will enhance your image as a journalist and likely provide a counter balance to the image damaging effects of being seen in The Morning Call. Hope to see and read you here regularly, it would be a wise career move on your part ...

Pamela Varkony said...

Anon 9:28,

Obviously I'm not as good a "journalist" as I like to think because I sure didn't make myself clear to you.

My tongue-in-cheek remark about posting anonymously was in regard to being viewed as a mom and housewife who is excited about Hersh's opening.

It was not meant to infer that posting on Mrs. Dottie's blog would make me seem less sophisticated; far from it. Her blog is filled with warm, insightful, and yes, sophisticated content, and I am a frequent reader although less frequent poster.

So there you have it: I'm excited about being able to go a few blocks from my house and get a well-trimmed pork chop.

Angie Villa said...

Pam,

I got the tongue-in-cheek humor, and thanks for the nice remarks!

Anonymous said...

Pamela, I got your tongue-n-cheek humor too (but it looks like you didn't get mine :)

Bill Villa said...

... we just shopped the new Hersh's Market on 19th Street and it is FABULOUS. It looks more Retro than UpScale. They stripped away 50 years of linoleum flooring to reveal the original wood floor, very cool. And, they have all the products back in the exact same shelf locations as the Original Hersh's had 'em, tres handy for those of us who remember. The place looks BIGGER somehow (maybe because it's now sparkling clean) and it's all there: fresh produce, tons of breads & rolls, that BUTCHER SHOP (ooh yeah), even Mrs. Hersh's-style pre-prepared stuff (potato salad, etc) now labeled "19th Street Hersh's." It's not every day that something comes back from the dead. What's next, Hess's? I'm kidding, and just glad we have Hersh's 19th Street back and looking better than ever!

Angie Villa said...

Oh, it's FAB!