Thursday, June 19, 2008

Somewhere over the rainbow


At the end of Tim Russert's Memorial Service the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was played. While people were leaving they witnessed an actual rainbow outside, and were convinced that Tim had something to do with it. These kinds of magical moments are what make it a little easier to deal with the untimely death of a loved one.


Watching the coverage of this touching memorial service has brought back memories of what it was like when my beautiful step daughter was tragically killed two years ago, by a drunk driver, on her 25th birthday. I don't like to write about it, but for some reason I feel I should.

There were 900 people at her memorial service. My husband was brave enough to get up and speak in front of all those people. My step-daughter was a young person who touched the lives of so many people. She was a popular teacher, a talented performer, an idol and an icon to hundreds of young girls.

We have had some instances of what we believe are signs from beyond, similar to the Tim Russert rainbow. With so much that has been taken away from us, we hang on to those little signs, cherish them, and hold them close. When we were celebrating the 1st anniversary of her death, and her 26th birthday, the family had Chinese food together. We made sure it was from her favorite restaurant. When we opened our fortune cookies, our 6 yr old son got a nice surprise.

The fortune said on one side "Angels are among us; when you find them, cherish their presence everyday." On the other side it said "learn Chinese: Miss You : Xiang-nian-ni" These letters are in my son's name. We believe that this message came from somewhere over the rainbow.
UPDATE: I've added a picture of the heart shape that appeared on the tree after the car crash that killed my step daughter. See comments.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful post and I could relate to it whole-heartedly. My Mom passed away in her sleep 2 years ago, unexpectedly, and she actually is the driving force behind me doing as I do in the community. She had, literally, hundreds at her funeral and I was surprised at the amount of people's lives she had touched. I do believe that those who pass on are able to see what we are doing and at times, may even try to communicate with us. I think that although their physical bodies may have passed on, we still keep their spirits alive through our memories and our hearts.

"While Others Talk, We Do"

- Ora Lee Todd


Alfonso

Anonymous said...

Those kinds of magical moments are really incredible. The fortune cookie message gave me chills. I think it's important to be aware of those little signs as something very significant. They seem to comfort the living by reaffirming that their connection with the deceased is not lost.

I feel for you, Mrs. Dottie and family, and Alfonso.

Bill Villa said...

Sheena used to sometimes sign her name with a 'heart' insignia. If you visit the tree at 28th and Parkway Boulevard in Allentown where Sheena was brutally killed on her 25th birthday, 3/24/06, you can still see the nearly perfect heart shape gash in the overhanging branch which was the vehicle's crash point of impact. The vehicle was slightly airborne and leaning into the tree, roof-first, and right above Sheena's head, before striking it, and was traveling at a speed determined by the police to have been a 'minimum speed of 85 miles per hour.' On a 35 mph residential neighborhood street. Obviously, this wasn't a joy ride. And yet, Sheena somehow managed to sign off, and out of this world, with a heart for all of us to remember her by.

To see "the heart" in a photo taken just days after the crash, visit the Expression of Dance (Nazareth) website and find the "words and pictures" Tribute to my first born, and only daughter, Sheena Villa. Also visit the Steps In Time (Allentown) website. Both dance schools, in conjunction with Sheena's family, honor Sheena Marie Villa with an annual scholarship program.

Angie Villa said...

Alfonso,

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mom. I'm sure she's very proud of her son.

Bernie O'Hare said...

The forune cookie tale is incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Bill,

Now that you describe it, I recall that accident. How horrible. Next time I go over to that park (I drive by there a lot) I'll look for the heart on the tree.

Bill Villa said...

"I recall that accident."

With all due respect Sarina, when you're driving with a .24 blood alcohol content (thrice the legal limit) and you're terrorizing your two passengers (one of whom was my daughter Sheena) with a speed that exceeded 85 mph, on a city street, what happens isn't an "accident." What happens is inevitable.

Bill Villa said...

"The forune cookie tale is incredible."

No good, the heart story?

Angie Villa said...

Sarina, Most people do use the word "accident" but in our case it's a "crash." I think the heart is hard to see now that it's been over two years. The tree has really changed. There is a tree planted, and a garden for Sheena with a plaque in her memory over at West Park near the bandshell. It's right near where she used to park her car in the alley behind West St. It's a beautiful garden with a path. This is where we remember her. She was cremated so there is no grave sight.

Angie Villa said...

Thanks BernO,

It was really special to us. We are still waiting for her to make an appearance.

Bill Villa said...

... sorry for being snippy, I'm just really torqued up lately ...

Katie Bee said...

my older brother, christopher, died two days after he was born. the experience of putting something so small into the ground is something i wish upon no one.

but we didn't know him well. i can't imagine the pain you went through and are still going through.

the fortune cookie, the tree and tim's rainbow are, for sure, signs. did you keep the fortune?

Angie Villa said...

Katie,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

I kept the fortune and put it next to her picture on top of the piano.

The pain is felt everyday and it becomes part of life.

Blah Society said...

I hear plenty of stories like yours and I think they're wonderful, however, I'm yet to experience my own mystical occurrence. Perhaps it’s because I focus more on realism than religion… I dunno.

Geoff Brace said...

I remember the show "Touched by an Angel" from when I was younger. Hopefully you feel Sheena touch you every single day. Clearly she is your family's angel, sent by God through life and after-life to bless your family and those who knew her.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Bill, No worries.

Angie Villa said...

AJ,

I'm not religious either, but I have seen some strange unexplainable things happen with my own eyes. THese are rare occurrences, but they do make me wonder.