Monday, June 30, 2008

The gift of life

I've been thinking a lot about how short life can be, and that it could end instantly at any second, and for that reason I should make the most of my life and do the things I want to do right now. There's no time like the present. I guess the impact of unexpectedly losing a young loved one can have that effect on a person. It really makes you think about the fragility of life.

I recently went to get my driver's license renewed at the photo license center. This can be a somewhat traumatic event for women over 40. I did not want to part with that picture from 4 yrs. ago. Luckily, the new one came out ok, they must have pretty good lighting there. I don't look that much older than I did four years ago, well at least not in that picture. ;D

For the first time I said "yes, I want to be an organ donor" (even though I only have one good kidney to give, and my eyes are really bad). I made that decision because my late step-daughter was an organ donor. Sheena saved 5 lives within 48 hours of losing hers and the organs, bone, and tissue Sheena gave away will eventually improve the quality of life for more than 50 people. We have received letters from some of the organ recipients, and those letters have been very moving. Her heart went to a man from NYC, but we have not heard from him yet.

One day someone may give me a kidney and save my life, so I think the least I can do is donate whatever good organs I have left to save someone else's life. Are you an organ donor? Think about it. http://www.donors1.org/

13 comments:

Sarina said...

I'm really blown away that one person's decision to donate organs can save so many lives and help the lives of many others. What a profound result.

Incidentally, I signed up to be an organ donor when I turned 18 and went to get my adult license. I wish more people would do it.

Mrs. Dottie said...

Good for you Sarina!

Bernie O'Hare said...

I signed on as a piano donor.

A.J.C. said...

This can be a somewhat traumatic event for women over 40.

It's a good thing you're nowhere near that age!

I became an organ donor a couple years ago when I renewed my license. I had the exact same thoughts you did, but I didn't have the experience you did. More-less, I figured that all your organs go to waste anyway after you die. If someone needs them, they can have em'!

Bill Villa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Mrs. Dottie said...

RE:"It's a good thing you're nowhere near that age!"

AJ,

I'm blushing! Flattery will get you everywhere.

A.J.C. said...

That's what they all say... at first...

Mrs. Dottie said...

Bill,

Wow, what Julie did is really great. How are father and daughter doing?

Sheena really lives on in others, in many ways. She was a dance teacher, and passed along that gift to many young girls.

Bill said...

Julie recovered within a few weeks and is very healthy.

Her fathers recovery took a bit longer, but they are both doing very well.

I am sure that Sheena lives on. It sounds like she was loved deeply by many who knew her.

A.J.C. said...

...and many who didn't know her.

Fabulously40 said...

This is a great post, I truly believe that everyone should be a donor. There are so much we can all do to help on another even after we are gone. This is one of the ways.

Ken Matthews said...

your recent posts have inspired me to take my boys back to the zoo & to more art museums ...and to post some of my 6 year old's photos-not quite at your 7 year old's level yet. I'm also a fellow organ donor/blogger. It's a shame to waste certified pre-owned parts !

Be well.

Mrs. Dottie said...

Thanks Ken, good to hear from you.