Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"Soulmates": Mystical Crap or Real Deal?

I like to kiddingly remind my hubby that we are not just partners united by marriage, we are "soulmates." I guess if you believe that one person completes another person in a "match made in heaven" then that's a nice thought, but actually I think when two people spend so much time together they just start completing each other's sentences automatically, reading each other's minds, and eventually acting and looking like one other (just a little). For example, is it just a coincidence that he is wearing the exact same color combination I'm wearing today? It's just what happens naturally, not to diminish the romance, physical attraction, or the similar interests and values that drew us to one another. We've been together for 11 years. We do spend a lot of time together, since he works at home a lot and I'm a homemaker/artist. I find that reminding him we are "soulmates" works especially well when he casually points out to me the remarkable physical attributes of a much younger woman, as if I am really just as fascinated by this as my "other half" is.

Have you found your "soulmate?"



Picture: "Lovebirds"

8 comments:

Bill said...

My wife and I are indeed soul mates. Our interests are somewhat different yet complimentary. It does not hurt that we share the same taste in music and politics!

I think it is the real deal!

Mrs. Dottie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sarina said...

I think my husband and I are definitely soul mates. When we met everything seemed to happen so fast. I'm an argumentative person when it comes to the big issues but I've never hit those roadblocks with him. We've always seen eye to eye where it really counts. Plus, we work together and we both work at home a lot, so we'd better reeeeeally get along!

A.J. Cordi said...

This seems like one of those questions to be answered towards the end of our lives.

When we get into that last reflection stage of our life, we will see what was right and what was wrong, what was good and what was bad, and so on.

But there's nothing wrong with confidence!

gsbrace said...

not sure. I'm still single. I'm with A.J. on this one.

Mrs. Dottie said...

AJ and Geoff,

Reflection can come before old age.
Thanks for the young single guy POV, gee now I really feel like an old geezette ;D.

A.J. Cordi said...

I've been with the same woman for almost four years now and I'm pretty confident that I'll be with her the rest of my life.

Midlife and end of life reflection are a bit different. During midlife, there is still opportunity for change. End of life reflection generally comes from the death bed, or so I've read.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this.

Mrs. Dottie said...

I had to delete a comment I wrote about family members because they could be reading my blog! Most likely they are not, but I have to be careful just in case. Oopsie!