Sunday, June 29, 2008

Does the ASD need more minority teachers?

In Allentown, 77% of the students in the ASD are minorities, while only 7% of the teachers are minorities. Looks like the minorities are really the majority, as far student population goes. Apparently Bethlehem and Easton hire more minority teachers than Allentown, according to the Morning Call article http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1_5asd.6479458jun27,0,5602646.story

The article quotes an Hispanic teacher from the Bethlehem School District who says that she knows people, including herself who were not even considered to teach in Allentown, even though they were highly qualified. They easily found positions elsewhere. Well, this makes me think, if Allentown is purposely excluding highly qualified minority candidates then that is really bad news. Need more info on that before I can reach a conclusion.

I think a teaching staff, and an administrative staff should be diverse. I think it's a bonus for students to have role models (teachers) who are from their culture, but I don't think it is necessary for learning. A really good teacher sets the bar really high, and challenges all students. That has nothing to do with one's cultural background. When I taught in the district 7 yrs. ago, there seemed to be a diverse staff at the middle school level. I think the article leaves out some important factors.


First of all the district employs many paraprofessionals (teacher's aides) who play important roles and interact with students every day. I have seen minorities as paras at every school I have taught at in the district. Also, in every elementary school I have seen business partnerships with the community where professionals volunteer to read with students and interact with them. Many of these inner city professionals work at PPL and many are minorities.
There are other programs like CIS (Communities in Schools).http://www.cisnet.org/
So I think the kids do interact with good role models from different cultures.


The article also mentions that many young teachers start in Allentown and use it as a springboard to teaching in the suburbs. This may be true because discipline is an issue in Allentown. Money is also an issue. Lack of supplies and other poor conditions. It's not the ideal teaching or learning environment. But I think the administrators need to work on a stricter discipline policy so the burden doesn't fall so heavy on the teachers.

A huge factor here is that parents need to be better role models and read to their kids, and take care of their kids, and prepare them for school. Even if the district hires more minority teachers, it's not going to fix the problem of so many kids coming to school without basic needs being met, with little or no skills, and with poor behavior.

14 comments:

Blah Society said...

I can understand how readers would think that more "minority" teachers need to be hired, especially after looking at the numbers, but I'm a strong fan of hiring the best man or woman for the job.

This kind of thinking also tends to contradict itself. On one hand, we want people to stop looking at a person's race and start looking at the person, but on the other hand, race may tend to be a deciding factor.

Does that many any sense? I'm a bit out of it right now.

Angie Villa said...

Cute sock puppet. Reminds me of Lambchop. Makes sense AJ.

michael molovinsky said...

a number of years ago allentown sent a delegation to Puerto Rico to recruit teachers, with little success. there has also been at least one lawsuit against the district when an administrator was let go, she filed discrimination charges. my guess is that a minority applicant would have an advantage getting hired in allentown, but i wouldn't want the district to become more affirmative than that.

Anonymous said...

I believe what ASD needs are more dedicated and good "policies" and then the great teachers will follow, whether, they are White, Black, Brown, Purple, or Green. Most of us "minorities" do obtain great role models and they don't necessarily have to be from our classroom. I have heard the argument that kids tend to learn and respond better to people who look as they do, when in fact, if a parent is doing as they should in the home, the focus should be on learning and educational opportunities.
I, personally, was raised in an all black school district in Beltzhoover, PA until I was 9 and then they started the "starbursting" program. We were bussed out of the community to surrounding schools. I had never encountered many White people until then, unless you count the ones on TV like the Capt. Stubing on the Love Boat or JR on Dallas, but I can tell you that once I learned that I did not live in an all Black world, then I began to understand the true meaning of multi-culturism and my mind began to expand. We have to do the same and flip on the "light switch" for ASD students. They have to learn there is more to life than what is up the street and around the corner...

Alfonso

Angie Villa said...

Alfonso,

Where I grew up in NJ the black kids were bussed from the inner-city to my school, which was in a mostly white middle class neighborhood.
This was in the early 70's. My father taught at an all black school for many years, and later became an administrator.
I can remember there were black teachers at that school as well. He was a good role model for those kids, I can remember some of them visiting us quite a bit after they graduated.

Thanks for commenting and sharing your story.

Angie Villa said...

MM,

I remember hearing about that trip to Puerto Rico, I believe Diane Scott was the superintendant then.
I know that Allentown was the only district interested in me when I was looking for a job. I could not even get an interview at Parkland or East Penn. I think it had to do with my maiden name sounding Muslim.

Geoff Brace said...

Much of Allentown's public employees don't represent the diversity of the city. You already mentioned the educators. The police department is far more "white" than the population as is the civilian workforce in city hall.

In listening to Alfonso's hopes for the city of Allentown, I wonder if the lack of diversity in city and school employees will serve as a barrior to encouraging the shared experiences necessary to foster diversity. I don't think it is as simple as racial/ethnic make up, but I'm sure it is part of the equation.

Blah Society said...

Cute sock puppet. Reminds me of Lambchop.

If random, anonymous bloggers are going to call me a "sock puppet," I might as well be a good looking one!

Anonymous said...

Dottie,

Too many of Allentown's children now come from addresses rather than homes, that is the real problem with the school district. I see the kids and feel sorry for them,good government in the city could have stemmed this concentration of poverty from developing.To this day the problem is only getting worse, ask any teacher.


Scott Armstrong

Anonymous said...

ASD could have everything Parkland has but kids still can't succeed without parental involvement. There are so many kids attending ASD that lack discipline or even basic skills when startinng school. I'm not going to blame all parents. There are times when moms and dads have to work one, two or three jobs to care for their families, and that is admirable and responsible, although unfortunate in our society.

As for diversity - I think the kids in the district could use more exposure to educators from different backgrounds. It doesn't seem healthy to me for the student base (where many ethnicities and races are present) to only ever see white people in a position of authority. Of course, I can't fault the district for not hiring teachers with other backgrounds if they're just not applying for the jobs or if there is another more qualified candidate, but somewhere there are highly qualified people out there to fill this void.

Angie Villa said...

Scott,

I agree, and with so many kids living in poverty in Allentown, I forget the percentage but it is really high, it seems like that would be top priority. It's not the kids' fault, they are born into it. That's why I always felt as a teacher like I should give them snacks, clothing, crayons, and attention.

Gangs and crime is another problem that stems from poverty.

But how do you go about changing the housing and deconverting the rowhomes? Is it too late? Where would all those displaced people go?

We are building a new school behind Jackson Elem. and adding on to others, but is that the answer? That doesn't solve the real problem, even though it may help short term.

Angie Villa said...

Sarina,

RE:"It doesn't seem healthy to me for the student base (where many ethnicities and races are present) to only ever see white people in a position of authority"

I wonder if it is unhealthy for the kids in some suburban or rural schools to only see white kids and probably all white teachers? I like the balance at my son's school, he is growing up in an environment where people look different, and he's used to that. But even if a child is mostly exposed to people who look like him/her, I think it's the parent's responsibility to educate the child about accepting other races and cultures.

Anonymous said...

Agreed, Mrs. Dottie. A balance would be nice in all schools, no matter where they're located. It seems it would be easier here, where it's more of a melting pot, to find teachers and administrators of various backgrounds. It could be tough in other parts of the country. I think we're lucky to have such a mix of people and cultures. There are always so many food and cultural festivals or events around here for different ethnic backgrounds. If only I could try them all.

Anonymous said...

When in doubt, hire the most qualified for the position.

Classifying people in groups stigmatizes them.

Unless of course it is a politician handing out some cash, then everyone is a member.