Thursday, June 26, 2008

Blogging and community

I don't like to write about blogging, but today I feel the urge, so I am going with it. I think having a blog has really helped to get some really positive things happening in Allentown. For one, the exciting Allentown Chen-Arts group would not have formed if it was not for this blog, and people reaching out to each other through their blogs. Blogging has helped me to meet and connect with so many different people. I think it is similar to an art form because it is a reaction to the MSM, just like artists react to their world. We are communicating and learning from one another. Each of us has his/her own style.

LV Somebody has provided a forum for discussing important issues. It has been a place for opinion, as well as fact. It has shed light on issues that the MSM does not cover. It has been a place for public information regarding events and happenings. It has been a place I can showcase my art work, and the work of others. It's a place to be creative and have fun. A place to express our concerns. Expression is good.
I try my best to keep the discussion civil. I try to be open to opinions that may be different than my own. I try to see other people's points of view, because I realize not everybody is like me. What a boring world that would be. I think there have been some very informative, and important discussions here. I think a good debate is healthy and educational, as long as it doesn't turn nasty and mean.

Which brings me to this. What has been bothering me lately is how some people label others as "naysayers." I think that being a critic and raising questions, dissecting and investigating an issue, pointing out another side to an issue are all good things. It's educational, if you are open-minded enough to listen without getting immediately defensive. Questioning the motives of our leaders is good. And shouldn't our elected officials take responsibility for their decisions? Shouldn't they act in the best interest of the community? I can see how both dems and r's can be divisive on certain issues, and sometimes we just have to agree to disagree. But we don't have to be disagreeable. We don't have to take nasty shots at people. Let's be ladies and gentlemen.
So what do you think about the local blogosphere?


Image is mixed media painting called "Late Night" by Mrs. Dottie

16 comments:

Bill Villa said...

Civility is always my starting point and my goal but sometimes a preemptive head-butt is your best strategy-- especially when dealing with cheaters who won't play fair. Unfortunately, civility is very easy to ignore. Head-butting always gets their attention.

Anonymous said...

You all KNOW how I roll. I try to kill people with kindness and not be reduced to name calling and insults. I know when me and Dottie first blogged I really "dug into her" but I have learned from her and others blogs that it is not always as important to win an argument as it is to get your point out so that others may understand. It has been nice and I have thoroughly enjoyed the "blogosphere world."

Anonymous said...

P.S. In addition, thanks for all that have welcomed me and been patient with my opinions and stances.

Alfonso

Bernie O'Hare said...

Dottie,

I appreciate your blog and the nice tone you've set. When you first started it, you may recall I called it a "breath of fresh air." It still has that quality, that new car smell. You have accomplished much in the time you've been blogging, and I'd agree your biggest achievement to date is the mobilization of the Allentown arts community.

Look at the impact Michale had w/ LANTA. The MC would not even cover what he was doing and then Channel 69 did, and the MC was forced to do so. Soon thereafter, LANTA made some changes. They may have been inadequate, but there would be no changes at all if it were not for Michael.

Northern LV Logic does an outstanding job of providing links to pertunent information sources, and will soon be doing it with audio.

Blue Coyote keeps a close eye on state government, often telling us things the MSM simply has no space to cover.

AJ has been a thorn in the side of the MC. Asa a hournalism major, he has some excellent points. Frankly, many of them are trhe same points that professor Jeff Pooley used to make at LV Media.

Really, we are at our best when we "afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted." We are not here to parrot whatever someone tells us to say, but to think independently.

Sarina said...

The blogs have been great. I think we've all learned a lot from each other and had some great discussions. Things do turn a little sour when the politically affiliated begin preaching through their comments, but overall, there has been a very personal tone to most of the remarks that have been shared. I'd rather learn how (and why) someone really feels than get a political pitch thrown at me. I think most of the bloggers and commenters have done a good job of being real and sharing their true opinions in a civil way. It's always interesting to see what other people have to say.

Mrs. Dottie said...

BV,

In your particular case I can understand why you feel that way.

Mrs. Dottie said...

THanks Alfonso, I'm glad you bothered to post that first comment a while back.

Mrs. Dottie said...

THanks BernO,

Good points, and I appreciate what you do.

Sarina said...

I think it's very fitting that you decided to blog about blogging with Independence Day around the corner. Blogging seems to me to be something that attracts independent thinkers. Who else would stand on their cyber soap box and yell (type) to the world?

Mrs. Dottie said...

Sarina,

I agree, let's hear it for independent thinkers!

Mrs. Dottie said...

MM,

I agree. You do have some unusual traits. ;D

Bill said...

Without Naysayers, we would still be part of England.

This country was founded by naysayers, and designed to function best when oppositional groups work to improve Government by keeping it honest.

Without Naysayers, this country will cease to exist in the manner that it was formed.

Mrs. Dottie said...

Bill,

That's so right, and I would expect our leaders to be able to handle criticism, even embrace it.

Bill Villa said...

Naysaying used to be called dissent. And dissent is good. It keeps everybody on their toes. It's like competition. Consumers benefit from competition. Ditto dissent. Anyone who's against dissent needs a good head-butt ;)

The Unspoken Word said...

I have been busy with preparing for another show. which opens july 10th..
and teaching. but i have not stopped reading about the Blogs that i find supportive

Mrs. Dottie said...

Hi Greg

Good to see you back :D